The Associate General Counsel will join the Legal and Compliance team providing legal advice and counsel to TGC’s origination team, execution team, asset management team, construction team, and financing team supporting a portfolio of solar projects throughout North America and Europe. The Associate General Counsel will take primary responsibility for the drafting, review, and negotiation of a variety of transaction and commercial agreements including LOIs/term sheets, MIPAs/APAs, construction contracts, engineering and procurement agreements, service agreements, O&M agreements, site control agreements, power purchase agreements and PILOT agreements.
• Provide legal support in structuring and executing renewable energy investment transactions including project acquisitions, development agreements, power purchase agreements (PPAs), and joint ventures.
• Draft and negotiate transactional agreements, including asset purchase agreements, project finance documents, and partnership agreements.
• Conduct legal due diligence on target renewable energy projects, identifying regulatory, contractual, and environmental risks.
• Collaborate with deal teams, project developers, and external counsel to ensure smooth transaction execution.
• Collaborate with legal team members with transaction-related documentation, including closing documents, regulatory filings, compliance requirements, etc.
• Collaborate with other legal team members to address broader legal matters impacting the firm, including corporate governance, intellectual property, and contract management.
• Efficiently manage outside counsel in the drafting and negotiation of the same and local counsel and title insurers in connection with real estate and permitting matters.
• Assist with financing and M&A transactions, including drafting and critical review of debt and tax equity financing agreements.
• Provide legal support to other functional areas within the firm, such as origination, project finance, and deal execution.
• Assist in drafting and reviewing fund documentation, including limited partnership agreements, private placement memorandums, subscription agreements, and side letters, with a focus on renewable energy project financing structure.
Ideal Candidate Profile
• Regulatory awareness of the power markets in the US (e.g., FERC, NERC, ERCOT, PJM, etc.)
• Have a keen command of what drives key stakeholder decisions and exceptional persuasion and negotiation skills.
• Ability to identify risks and propose solutions to mitigate.
• Personal accountability and integrity.
• Comfortable with a work environment that is fast paced.
• Ability to work within a team with a positive, can-do attitude.
• Be a pragmatic and engaging adviser that has highly effective communication skills with various counterparts in high pressure environments.
• Additional familiarity in some of the following areas preferred: interconnection agreements, local government permitting, negotiation of tax abatement agreements and special use permits, construction issues and contracts, including with respect to mechanics’ liens, lien waivers, bonds, and decommissioning.
• Training with top tier law firm preferred 5+ year’s post admission experience.
• Ability to handle multiple projects and work successfully in a dynamic team environment.
• Proficient in Windows environment, MS Office Suite.
• Law degree required (J.D.) and must be admitted in a U.S. jurisdiction to practice law.
• 5+ years of experience as a transaction lawyer in the project finance space, including specific legal knowledge and experience in renewable energy.